Dear world,
I’m not sure that I can call this carbonara. It’s almost a
carbonara, but I’ve learned, while sitting in many an Italian household that a
carbonara has a pretty rigid list of ingredients.
I’d listen to women talk about their recipes in Italian. They’d
layer on words and stories about cooking and pasta and the special things they
do to make their recipes better. And I, well, I don’t speak much Italian, but
when it comes to food, I *get* it. You
don’t have to turn to me and explain the difference in English. One woman
doesn’t cook the pancetta. She puts it into the eggs cruda, raw, before adding the pasta. Another uses a special type of
pancetta. She tries to explain to me what kind and I think of all the meats
behind the counter of the grocery store where I talk to the man behind the
counter, “Perdone, signore. Uh. Vorrei cucinare carbonara. Qual e the buono
one?”
I don't tell anyone (I don't actually have the vocabulary to tell anyone) my secret: I already have the best recipe for
carbonara; Lucy Knisley’s recipe for carbonara, from her book, Relish. Now
whenever I cook or eat carbonara, I think of Lucy and how lovingly she created
the recipe for her book.
I wanted to make a dish inspired by her, so naturally,
carbonara.
But not just any carbonara. *pink* carbonara. Instead of pancetta, I used beets and
shallots.
This is where we have a problem. I can’t call it carbonara anymore,
because its *not* a carbonara. It’s something else. Like how it’s not a
cookbook or a graphic novel. Relish is something else.
Shallots and beets go really well together in pasta. The
caramelized shallots add more earthiness and bite to both highlight and cut the
sweetness of the beets. Add the creaminess of eggs and cheese and you have
something decadent and unexpected.
Recipe
2 servings of linguine
2 cloves of garlic
½ cup of beets, diced
2 medium-sized shallots 2 eggs
½ c shredded parmesan or pecorino romano
2 cloves of garlic
½ cup of beets, diced
2 medium-sized shallots 2 eggs
½ c shredded parmesan or pecorino romano
1.
Boil the water.
2.
In a saucepan, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and the
two whole cloves of garlic. Let them roast, turning them until they’re golden
brown (like Lucy does). Add the shallots
and cook until they’re almost caramelized, then add the diced beets. Keep
cooking until everything is somewhat smoky and sweet. Salt to taste. And *do*
taste, earthy and sweet. This takes anywhere from 10-15 minutes. Remove the
garlic cloves.
3.
In another, large bowl, add 2 eggs, beat until
the eggs turn a lighter color. (I think this was our problem with watery
carbonara, Joanne! We didn’t beat the eggs hard enough!) Add the grated cheese.
4.
Cook the pasta.
5.
When the pasta is done, add some of it to the
egg mixture and toss. Then add the beet mixture and toss some more. Then add
the rest of the pasta and keep tossing until it turns an acceptable shade of
pink.


No comments:
Post a Comment