Monday, May 19, 2014

MEGA WINTER IS OVER! + a recipe for Chicken Marsala with Shiitake Mushrooms

Dear Shelly,

You just missed spring in NYC by a few weeks! Little bursts of color are popping up - orchids, daffodils and the trees getting greener, lusher, leafier. There's all this extra life in parks and crevices transforming the way the city smells and feels and my stressed-out mood. Helps that my grad school classes are D-O-N-E! Even the fat little starlings are out in full force. I spent this weekend in Bedstuy, with Graham, and even the potholes in the sidewalk felt like they belonged on an inspirational poster, with their teensy grass sprouts stubbornly growing in potholes with cigarette butts and such.

Remember that night we went to eat Artichoke Pizza and we found that tree with fragrant white buds in front of that old church? I still haven't figured out what those flowers are, but I'm not sure I want to. I just want them to stay magical.

Next time you come visit we will visit Jefferson Market. It's a tiny park in Greenwich Village, with a puddle-sized pond and a few benches, built on the site of a former womens' prison (active in the 1970s). Very calm but just full of flowers. They give out tulip buds por gratis on Sundays too. http://www.yelp.com/biz/jefferson-market-garden-new-york

Look at these blooms! And send me pictures of the Golden Gate Park deer! Ah, California. I miss your lack of mega winters, tornados, and other weather disasters.


I attempted Lucy Knisley's spaghetti carbonara recipe, but the batch came out too saucy for my liking, so will save that for next blog. Instead, here's chicken marsala with shiitake mushrooms.

Ta-da! (A big thank you to Graham for the photo.)

Chicken Marsala is such a classy dinner when you have no time (which is always). The rich fancy-schmancy Marsala wine makes it taste like a special occasion dish but preparation is dead easy. Plus, I only paid about $4.99 for the wine at marketeer Joe's and found fresh Shiitake mushrooms there - these are much more flavorful than button or brown mushrooms if you can get them. Otherwise just go with what's fresh.

The key to good chicken is to keep an eye on the tenderness of the meat. (We all know that tough chicken breast =  THE WORST.)

Serve with mashed potatoes (yum), buttered pasta or bread.

Chicken Marsala with Shiitake Mushrooms 
Makes two hungry-person portions

3 skinless boneless chicken breasts
Salt, pepper and herbs to rub over the chicken (we suggest oregano and rosemary)
3 tablespoons of butter or olive oil
3-4 cloves of garlic (about half a bulb), minced
Healthy splashes of Marsala wine
     - approx. two-thirds of a cup, or a full cup for a saucy dish
1 cup of water

 Optional:
Approx. 1 tablespoon of sugar or honey, if using dry Marsala wine
Chopped parsley for garnish

Directions:
1) Cut the chicken breasts into roughly two-inch chunks. Coat the chicken with salt, pepper, and herbs to taste.

2) In a warmed saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of oil or butter over medium heat. Place chicken in the pan and lightly brown both sides (about 3 minutes per side). Press down on the meat with your spatula/utensils to check and maintain the tenderness of the meat throughout the browning process.

3) Add mushroom and 1 tablespoon of oil or butter; cook with the chicken. When mushrooms soften, splash in Marsala wine. Add 1 cup of water. Simmer until water reduces (about 5 minutes). Add salt to taste if needed.

Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Enjoy!

Extra, extra!
CHEAP CHICKEN!
(It's tangentially related, okay?!)


So I love this play by prose goddess Maria Gabriele. It's called "Cheap Chicken" but really, nothing will prepare you for the journey it takes you on. Listen here!

I'm out!

Love,
Joanne

1 comment:

  1. I will send you pictures of Golden Gate bison!

    I'm going to pretend these pictures of flowers are a bouquet just for me and they will make me happy every time I see them. <3 I love flowers.

    I also thought the Knisley Carbonara was too watery! I thought it was because I followed the recipe loosely. Maybe just egg yolks? Make an omelet with the whites to snack on while you're waiting for the water to boil? That's what I was thinking.

    Cheap Chicken is so amazing. I've listened to it three times. It gives me chills every time. I want to sing and write and do everything with that much impact and intensity.

    ReplyDelete